Monday, March 1, 2010

Skiing Steamboat Springs

As we awaited our connection in Dallas/ Ft. Worth yesterday I couldn't help but notice the pile of wheelchairs and disability service vehicles that were amassed at our gate. When the connector arrived from Steamboat Springs, all manner of disabled former skiers straggled out and sought the assistance of airport personnel.

Hate to see that.

But now we are here looking out on a snow covered mountain, and about ready to take advantage of our very first ski in ski out experience.

About ski in/ski out .... All of my adult life my ski lodging has been away from the mountain. Sometimes very far away from the mountain, like the many years we commuted in the early morning from Hanover, NH to Killington, VT with a bag full of sandwiches that we kept "under the clock" in the base lodge. Sometimes it meant hopping a bus in a ski town like Aspen or walking to the lifts from a condo in Telluride.

But today a new era is about to begin. As I type this I can see the famous Steamboat Gondola gliding past my window. All I have to do is walk across my driveway and hop on my skis ... no thundering boot noise in the lodge, no long walks from the parking lot, and perhaps most importantly, no more long waits in the lodge with a book while I wait for others to finish their day of skiing.

No comments: